Work Permit

A Canadian work permit is a document issued to foreigners who want to work in Canada. A foreigner seeking employment in Canada must apply for and obtain a work permit before entering the country.
Any person who is not a Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents of Canada requires a valid Work Permit to work in Canada.
Canada issues two main types of work permits—open work permits and employer-specific work permits.
Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. Once an employer gets the LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit.
Presently work permits can be for 12 months to 24 months or for shorter-term (seasonal program). Yes, it's extendable with employer supportive LMIA if applicable.
Yes, if you are working in Skilled occupation NOC 0, A,B and dependents of home support workers can come and live with a family members.
You can get an open work permit only under certain scenarios e.g international students are eligible after completing their studies, applicants of the Permanent resident application, spouse or common-law of an international student or skilled worker etc. If you are not eligible under any such scenarios, you have to get an employer-specific work permit.
Work history plays an important role in the decision of your work permit application. Hence, it is advisable to look for jobs in your own profession.
Your eligibility for PR depends on a case to case basis. In general, you will need to be on a work permit for one to two years to get your PR. However, there are exceptions for workers who had past skilled experience and presently working under same profession in Canada.
Yes, you can switch to a work permit by following the flag poling process or applying overseas from Canada. Please consult to understand the flagpole process.
Yes, you can switch from a student permit to work permit. Please consult to understand the process and asses eligibility.
Spouse of the Skilled foreign worker is eligible for an open work permit and minors kids are entitled for free studies.